What research has been done about teaching with Wikipedia?
Here are some of the peer reviewed studies on the pedagogical value of teaching with Wikipedia, Wikipedia writing assignments, and related topics.
- Hinnosaar, Marit and Hinnosaar, Toomas and Kummer, Michael and Slivko, Olga (2019). Wikipedia Matters. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 2021, 1– 13.
- Thompson, Neil C. & Douglas Hanley (2017). Science is Shaped by Wikipedia: Evidence From a Randomized Control Trial. MIT Sloan Research Paper No. 5238-17 (September 2017)
- Thompson, Neil and Flanagan, Brian and Richardson, Edana and McKenzie, Brian and Luo, Xueyun, "Trial by Internet: A Randomized Field Experiment on Wikipedia’s Influence on Judges’ Legal Reasoning" (July 27, 2022). ''Cambridge Handbook of Experimental Jurisprudence'', editor Kevin Tobia, Cambridge University Press
- Zhu, Kai & Dylan Walker, Lev Muchnik (2020). Content Growth and Attention Contagion in Information Networks: Addressing Information Poverty on Wikipedia. Information Systems Research, June 10, 2020
Perceptions in academia
- Konieczny, Piotr (2016-04-01). Teaching with Wikipedia in a 21st-century classroom: Perceptions of Wikipedia and its educational benefits. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. doi:10.1002/asi.23616. ISSN 2330-1643
- Meseguer Artola, A., Aibar Puentes, E., et al., Factors that influence the teaching use of Wikipedia in Higher Education. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. doi: 10.1002/asi.23488
- Soules, Aline. (2015) Faculty perception of Wikipedia in the California State University System. New Library World Vol. 116 Iss 3/4 pp. 213 - 226
- Xiao, Lu. (2014). "Academic opinions of Wikipedia and open access will improve with more active involvement" (Summary of research paper for London School of Economics' Impact blog).
Science writing for undergrads
- Figuerola, Carlos G.; Groves, Tamar; Quintanilla, Miguel Angel (2015). The Implications of Wikipedia for Contemporary Science Education: Using Social Network Analysis Techniques for Automatic Organisation of Knowledge. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Technological Ecosystems for Enhancing Multiculturality. TEEM '15. New York, NY, USA: ACM. pp. 403--410. doi:10.1145/2808580.2808641. ISBN 978-1-4503-3442-6.
- Gareis Jolie A. L., Larson Erin I., Ardón Marcelo, Berges John A., Brandt Jessica E., Busch Kaitlyn M., Chraibi Victoria L. S., Gallagher Elizabeth N., Hondula Kelly L., Kincaid Dustin W., Levine Todd D., Little Chelsea J., Nodine Emily R., Rock Amber M., Shogren Arial J., Vanni Michael J. Using Wikipedia Assignments to Teach Critical Thinking and Scientific Writing in STEM Courses. Frontiers in Education. 7, June 28, 2022.
- Otfinowski, Rafael and Silva-Opps, Marina. (2015). Writing Toward a Scientific Identity: Shifting From Prescriptive to Reflective Writing in Undergraduate Biology The Journal of College Science Teaching, Vol. 45, No. 2.
- Sternberger, A.L., and Wyatt, S.E. 2018. Wikipedia in the Science Classroom. CourseSource.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Brox, Hilde (2016-04-05). Troublesome tools: How can Wikipedia editing enhance student teachers' digital skills?. Acta Didactica Norge 10 (2): 329--346. ISSN 1504-9922.
- Levendowski, Amanda and Han, Eun Hee and Perlin, Jonah, Disrupting Data Cartels by Editing Wikipedia (March 15, 2023). 25 Yale J.L. Tech , Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=4390065
Teaching with Wikipedia
- Al-Shehari, Khaled (2017) "Collaborative learning: trainee translators tasked to translate Wikipedia entries from English into Arabic, The Interpreter and Translator Trainer", 11:4, 357-372, DOI: 10.1080/1750399X.2017.1359755
- Azar, Tawnya., (2023) "Wikipedia: One of the last, best internet spaces for teaching digital literacy, public writing, and research skills in first year composition." Computers and Composition. Volume 68, June 2023, 102774.
- Barnhisel, G., and Rapchak, M., (2014) Wikipedia and the Wisdom of Crowds. Communications in Information Literacy, Vol. 8 Issue 1.
- Bilansky, Alan. "Using Wikipedia to Teach Audience, Genre and Collaboration." Pedagogy: Critical Approaches to Teaching Literature, Language, Composition, and Culture 16.2 (2016). Preprint.
- Blumenthal, Helaine, Delia Steverson, Helen Choi, Heather J. Sharkey and Janetta Waterhouse (Column Editors) Serials Spoken Here, Serials Review. 2022.
- Brailas et al. (2015) Wikipedia in Education: Acculturation and learning in virtual communities, in: Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, doi:10.1016/j.lcsi.2015.07.002
- Callis et al. (2009). Improving Wikipedia: educational opportunity and professional responsibility. Trends in Ecology and Evolution Volume 24, Issue 4, p177--179
- Carver, B., Davis, R., Kelley, R. T., Obar, J. A., & Davis, L. L. (2012). Assigning Students to Edit Wikipedia: four case studies. E-Learning and Digital Media, 9(3), 273--283
- Ceballos, Diana M., Robert F. Herrick, Tania Carreón, Vy T. Nguyen, MyDzung T. Chu, John P. Sadowski, Helaine Blumenthal, Thais C. Morata Expanding Reach of Occupational Health Knowledge: Contributing Subject-Matter Expertise to Wikipedia as a Class Assignment, INQUIRY: The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing. January 2021. doi:10.1177/00469580211035735
- Chen / Reber (2011), Writing Wikipedia articles as course assignment. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Computers in Education. Chiang Mai, Thailand: Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education
- Choi, Helen and Malavika Shetty. Perspectives on Teaching with Wikipedia in Writing Courses Before and During the Pandemic. Computers and Composition Online. December 22022.
- Christensen, Tyler Booth. (2015) "Wikipedia as a Tool for 21st Century Teaching and Learning." International Journal for Digital Society, 6 (2), pp. 1055--1060.
- Cravens, Royal G. (2021) Using Wikipedia to Teach Queer Politics. Feminist Pedagogy. Vol. 1, Iss. 1, Article 4.
- Cummings (2009), Are We Ready to Use Wikipedia to Teach Writing? Inside Higher Ed
- Dowell, Meghan L., & Bridges, Laurie M. (2019). A Perspective on Wikipedia: Your Students Are Here, Why Aren't You?, The Journal of Academic Librarianship, Volume 45, Issue 2, pp 81-83
- Foster-Kaufman, Amanda. 2019. Wikipedia-Based Assignments and Critical Information Literacy: A Case Study in: Pashia, A., & Critten, J. Critical Approaches to Credit-bearing Information Literacy Courses. Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Freire / Li (2014), "Using Wikipedia to enhance student learning: A case study in economics". Education and and Information Technologies, December 2014.
- Head, A. J., & Eisenberg, M. B. (2010). How today's college students use Wikipedia for course-related research. First Monday, 15(3), 1-1. doi: 10.5210/fm.v15i3.2830
- Infeld / Adams (2013), Wikipedia as a Tool for Teaching Policy Analysis and Improving Public Policy Content Online. Journal of Public Affairs Education 19(3), 445--459
- Ingallinella, Laura (2022) "Foul Tales, Public Knowledge: Bringing Dante's 'Divine Comedy' to Wikipedia," Bibliotheca Dantesca: Journal of Dante Studies: Vol. 5, Article 9.
- Joshi M, Verduzco R, Yogi S et al. Wikipedia Editing Courses at Three US Medical Schools in the 2017-2018 Academic Year [version 1]. MedEdPublish 2019, 8:146
- Kennedy et. al. (2015), Turning Introductory Comparative Politics and Elections Courses into Social Science Research Communities Using Wikipedia. PS: Political Science and Politics, 48(2): 378-384
- Jacobson, Trudi and Thomas Mackey. Metaliteracy in a Connected World: Developing Learners as Producers. ALA Neal-Schuman. 2022.
- Konieczny (2012), Wikis and Wikipedia as a Teaching Tool: Five Years Later. First Monday
- Konieczny, Piotr. (2016) Teaching with Wikipedia in a 21st-century classroom: Perceptions of Wikipedia and its educational benefits. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology.
- Lampe, C., Zube, P., Velasquez, A., Ozkaya, E., & Obar, J. (2012). Classroom Wikipedia participation effects on future intentions to contribute. Proceedings of the ACM 2012 conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work - CSCW '12 (p. 403). New York, New York, USA: ACM Press.
- Li, Ang, & Zheng Yao, Diyi Yang, Chinmay Kulkarni, Rosta Farzan, and Robert E. Kraut. 2020. Successful Online Socialization: Lessons from the Wikipedia Education Program. Proc. ACM Hum.-Comput. Interact. 4, CSCW1, Article 50 (May 2020), 24 pages.
- Lugosi, Nicole, et al. Theorizing and implementing meaningful Indigenization: Wikipedia as an opportunity for course-based digital advocacy Critical Studies in Education, May 2022.
- Maggio, L.A., Willinsky, J.M., Costello, J.A. et al. Integrating Wikipedia editing into health professions education: a curricular inventory and review of the literature. Perspect Med Educ 9, 333–342 (2020).
- McDowell, Z. J., & Vetter, M. A. (2022). Wikipedia as Open Educational Practice: Experiential Learning, Critical Information Literacy, and Social Justice. Social Media + Society, 8(1).
- Mendes, T.B., Dawson, J., Evenstein Sigalov, S. et al. Wikipedia in Health Professional Schools: from an Opponent to an Ally. Med.Sci.Educ. 31, 2209–2216 (2021).
- Roth, A., Davis, R., & Carver, B. (2013). Assigning Wikipedia editing: Triangulation toward understanding university student engagement. First Monday, 18(6). doi:10.5210/fm.v18i6.4340
- Smith Stvan, Laurel. Collaborative group work and increased diversity through Wikipedia editing. Proceedings of the Linguistic Society of America. Vol 6. No. 2. 2021.
- Van Volkenburgh, Elizabeth, et. al. Understanding PlantBehavior: A Student Perspective. Trends in Plant Science. May 2021. Vol. 26. No. 5 425.
- Vetter, Matthew A. Teaching Wikipedia: The Pedagogy and Politics of an Open Access Writing Community. Thesis, 2015, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Ohio University, English (Arts and Sciences).
- Vetter, Matthew A. "Teaching Wikipedia: Appalachian Rhetoric and the Encyclopedic Politics of Representation." College English, vol. 80, no. 5, 2018, pp. 397-422.
- Vetter, Matthew A., Zachary J. McDowell, Mahala Stewart (2019) From Opportunities to Outcomes: The Wikipedia-Based Writing Assignment. Computers and Composition, Volume 52, pp 53-64
- Wadewitz et al. (2010), Wiki-hacking: Opening up the academy with Wikipedia
- Wannemacher / Schulenburg (2009), Wikipedia in Academic Studies: Corrupting or Improving the Quality of Teaching and Learning?. In: Looking Toward the Future of Technology-Enhanced Education: Ubiquitous Learning and the Digital Native. Martin Ebner and Mandy Schiefner (eds.)
- Wright (2012), Writing Wikipedia Articles as a Classroom Assignment.
- Xing, Jiawei., & Vetter, Matthew. (2020). Editing for equity: Understanding instructor motivations for integrating cross-disciplinary Wikipedia assignments. First Monday, 25(6).